Is Masturbation Bad For You?
Is Masturbation Harmful?
Masturbation is a natural expression of one’s sexuality. It can boost sexual pleasure and help to maintain a healthy sex life. The effects of masturbating have been shown to be good for a person. In fact, those who do it often are calmer and less aggressive, have a lower stress level, can focus better, might have fewer headaches, can reduce one’s risk of developing prostate cancer, and it can be an overall sign of good health. However, like any behavior, there is the potential to develop an addiction to masturbation.
How Do I Know If I Have An Addition to Masturbation?
Generally, masturbation is not considered harmful unless it begins to affect the quality of your life or drives you to do something that may be illegal or otherwise harmful to you or others.
So, how much is too much when it comes to masturbation? Here are some things to consider.
- Ask yourself, “How much time am I spending, or how many times am I masturbating each week?” Frequency is a key factor when it comes to excessive masturbation.
- If the frequency of your masturbation is causing injury to your genitals, you are doing it too much.
- Evaluate whether you have an uncontrollable urge to masturbate, or if it is difficult to stop once you have started.
- If you are skipping work, school, or social gatherings to masturbate, this is a sign that it may be a problem.
- Is the behavior interfering with your romantic or sexual relationships? For example, has it become difficult to obtain an erection during sexual activity with your partner? Or, do you prefer masturbation to sexual activity with another person?
- Do you feel an urge, or compulsion, to touch your genitals or masturbate in public?
- Do you experience a sense of guilt or shame after masturbating?
Tips for Safety
- If you experience pain or injure yourself while masturbating, stop.
- Use a high-quality lubricant to avoid injuring or tearing your skin.
- If you use sex toys, make sure that you keep them clean to avoid the potential for infection.
- Pay attention to the frequency and amount of time you are spending masturbating each week.
How Can I Stop Masturbating?
- Avoid pornography. Pornography and other adult content – even what you may find on social media – can be sexually stimulating and may trigger compulsive thoughts to masturbate.
- Develop new hobbies and interests. Some people engage in addictive behaviors due to boredom.
- Consider installing an app on your phone or computer that prohibits you from accessing adult content.
- Engage in regular physical exercise and maintain a healthy diet.
- Do not isolate. Socialize more.
- Consider talking to your doctor or a Licensed Mental Health Counselor.
Although masturbation can be a healthy expression of your sexuality, it can become excessive and harmful for some people. If you are struggling with excessive masturbation, call me today at (317) 754-0808 to schedule an appointment.